Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: High Inspection Rate IPS

From: "Everett, Alex D" <alex.everett () UNC EDU>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 16:41:38 +0000

Jeff:

This may be slightly tangent, but-
One consideration you should have is what happens to single high bandwidth "streams" exceeding 1Gbps (or so).
Do they not get inspected, dropped, only the first so many bytes are inspected, or only a subset of inspections take
place?
Today, we do not have a solution like I believe you are describing.
We use load/stream balancing to attain a theoretical max of 40Gbps, such that each device only receive a portion of our
total traffic.

Sincerely,

Alex Everett
University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill