Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Amazon Web Services - Can you log the infrastructure?

From: Karl Bernard <karl.bernard () GMAIL COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 14:26:55 -0600

I received a suggestion to take a look at AWS Identity and Access
Management (IAM), and although it looks promising, I looked over IAM and
found these unfortunate answers in the FAQ:

Q: Will AWS Identity and Access Management administrative actions be logged
to an audit trail?No. This is planned for a future release.Q: Will user
actions in AWS services be logged to an audit trail?No. This is planned for
a future release
http://aws.amazon.com/iam/faqs/#Will_Identity_and_Access_Management_administrative_actions_be_logged_to_an_audit_trail

This makes it problematic for us - hopefully someone else has some kind of
workaround or well-worded risk acceptance we can look at. Our customers are
quietly asking to use cloud services now, but I suspect there will be an
all out clamoring before long, so we hope to have some kind of workable
answer soon so we can get ahead of things.

Thanks,

Karl