Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Oxford and Google Apps

From: Richard Biever <richard.biever () DUKE EDU>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 12:47:44 +0000

+1 to Drew's comments.  While we have made an effort to block phishing/spam messages to our community, and we do have
technical controls to help us identify compromised accounts as a result of the activity, we still see the occasional
attack get through.  Given that students and faculty/staff spend time off-campus checking their mail from home and
while on the road, we have found that education has been the best help in mitigating the issue.  Everytime we do an
information session or attend a departmental meeting to discuss security we take the opportunity to explain how to look
at a potentially fraudulent mail message or website, and reiterate that if it looks "phishy", don't click the link.  :)

Cheers,
Richard

On Feb 19, 2013, at 7:26 AM, Drew Perry <aperry () MURRAYSTATE EDU<mailto:aperry () MURRAYSTATE EDU>>