Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Campus network and security infrastructure

From: Leo Song <song () UOGUELPH CA>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 09:41:25 -0500

Good morning.

We are working a project aiming to improve campus network security and
we are
looking forward to discussing with some colleagues offline and sharing
experiences on
various network security topics.

In 2011 we hired external security auditors to evaluate our IT security
infrastructure. The auditors made recommendations to us on various
network
security areas. This project guided by the observations and
recommendations
from the security auditors undertakes an assessment of the existing
Network
and System infrastructure and makes recommendations for campus network
security improvements.

We would like to talk to other universities(with over 20,000 students
and
uses Cisco network security technologies) on different network security
topics and share experiences on these topics. Some of the topics we want
discuss are:

1. Network based Malware defenses
2. Wireless device control
3. Boundary Defenses
4. Network Access Control
5. Monitoring and Analysis of Audit logs
6. Network Visibility

If you would like to share your experience to us, please contact me off
line. Thanks.

Leo Song, Senior Analyst & Cluster Lead
Computing and Communication Services - Networking and Security
University of Guelph
(519) 824-4120 x 53181