Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: McAfee preventing Windows 7 logons

From: "Schoenefeld, Keith P." <Keith_Schoenefeld () BAYLOR EDU>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 17:41:44 +0000

What happens if you do a complete scan of the entire C:\Users\Default directory?  Since the contents of that directory
are effectively copied into a new directory when a new user is created, a false positive detection would cause an
issue.  In addition, if McAfee is taking action that is blocking it and you aren't seeing it on an ePO server, it seems
like it's either a bug in the software or a configuration setting that needs to be toggled so that blocks are being
reported back to ePO (or logged locally).  As an additional troubleshooting technique, you could probably turn on
auditing (for both success and failure) on an affected system, and see what's being blocked and what's being allowed
when a new user logs on.

-- KS

Keith Schoenefeld
Information Security Analyst