Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Non-administrator advantages / disadvantages

From: Eric Lukens <eric.lukens () UNI EDU>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 03:14:13 +0000

Since I gave my list of ways to make limited-user rights work better, I’ll
also give a list of ways to reduce risk when giving end-users admin rights.

1) Regularly review the list of administrator accounts on the machine, this
can be scripted or done via various software programs/administration tools.

2) Have users use a limited account for day-to-day activities and use the
admin account as a run-as account to install software. This reduces the
likelihood of the user accidentally doing something they didn’t intend to
do.

3) Do not let the local admin accounts have access to domain/network-based
resources like file shares to reduce the likelihood of using the account
for day-to-day activities. Exception, if the software they need to run as
an admin is a legacy app that requires admin rights, then some network
resources may need to be accessible.

4) Consider a software restriction policy (administered via group
policy/sccm or via your Endpoint Protection products). There are lots of
ways to use these, but one option is to limit software to the Program Files
and Windows folders. For your admin users, you can create a special folder
where they can copy program installers that is also permitted (perhaps a
special folder on their desktop). This reduces the risk of malware
substantially while still giving the users admin rights--and might not be a
bad idea for regular users. However, this is an intensive task to get
going. Further, some applications that auto-update aren’t going to work
well with this method, though you can also allow applications based on the
certificates that signed the installers, so you could approve Adobe and
Oracle for regular browser plugin updates. Since a software restriction
policy can use hash rules, path rules, and certificate rules, it is fairly
comprehensive, but admittedly a significant undertaking, but certainly
doable. We have departments using software restriction policies with great
success.

5) Reputation-based file restrictions. This is another area where Windows 8
makes some improvements, as all Win 8 machines have a reputation-based tool
that can be configured to not allow applications that aren’t yet well-known
to Microsoft. Such tools also exist in various A/V programs. Policies can
be configured to prevent even admin users from launching unknown apps. A
sophisticated admin user might be able to bypass the policy to get the
software running, but average users are going to be prevented. I’ve
encountered some issues with bleeding-edge updates of open-source
applications being block by reputation-services, but they usually are
corrected within hours of release.

6) Use group policy and other tools to enforce settings that you view as
non-negotiable so that admin users can’t change them. Avoid using logon
scripts, registry edits, and changes to the default user profile to push
settings unless there is no other way to set them (or if the setting has no
security implications). Group policy will enforce settings regularly and
revert changes made if the user works around a setting.

7) Monitor installed software to make sure your users aren’t installing
software they aren’t licensed to use.

8) Consider preventing even the admin end users from launching regedit and
perhaps revoke their ability to kill processes. These aren’t fool proof and
can cause some compatibility issues with installers that use the user’s
privileges to kill processes and merge registry changes with regedit,
though such installers are far less common now. Sophisticated users will be
able to work around these restrictions.

9) Configure your A/V to not allow end-users to disable it, or require a
password to disable it that is only provided if necessary.

I’m sure there are more risk mitigations for local admin rights, but these
are the ones I came up with off the top of my head that I have used or
suggested.

-Eric

Eric C. Lukens
IT Security Policy and Risk Assessment Analyst
ITS-Network Services
Curris Business Building 15
University of Northern Iowa
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0121