Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Server 2008 GPOs for isolated PCI environment

From: "Eric C. Lukens" <eric.lukens () UNI EDU>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 09:33:42 -0600

I used the Microsoft "SSLF" (Specialized Security – Limited
Functionality) standards as the starting point for my GPOs. Keep in mind
that the SSLF standard disables Remote Desktop in about 3 or 4 different
ways, so if you using a Remote Desktop server with thin clients like I
am, you need to change some of the settings.

Generally I found the settings work well, but they are harsh in a few
spots and some applications need a specific setting reverted, which I do
on a server-by-server basis with a second group policy object that is
only applied to that server. There are a lot of "security" settings that
aren't set in these policies, because in reality those settings don't
prevent users from doing things, they just hide things. But you still
will need to go through and enable additional settings that make sense
for your environment.

The CIS standards are very similar, but the advantage of the Microsoft
standards are in the use of the Security Compliance Manager application.
It lets you export the standards as a Group Policy backup, among other
options, that can easily be imported into Group Policy or SCCM.
Regardless, I'd still read through the CIS standards to make sure you're
doing everything you should, though our QSAs were fine with the SSLF
standards from Microsoft.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg236605.aspx

When documenting, I say I use the SSLF standard:

"Server 2008 x86, Server 2008 x64, and Server 2008 R2 shall be
configured according to the manufacturer’s documentation titled “Windows
Server® 2008 Security Guide Version 3.0,” published in February 2009 as
part of the “Security Compliance Management Toolkit Series.”  Newer
versions of the same security standard shall be acceptable.  The
“Windows Server® 2008 Security Guide Version 3.0” provides two security
standards, the “Specialized Security – Limited Functionality (SSLF)”
standard shall be used."

I then go and list the exceptions that are made, like for remote desktop
and settings on individual machines. I document the other, non-security
settings separately as they are not part of the "hardening" of the system.

-Eric