Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

EmergingThreats.net

From: "Di Fabio, Andrea" <adifabio () NSU EDU>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 10:53:14 -0400

Experts,

We have been using the following for many years now
http://rules.emergingthreats.net/fwrules/emerging-Block-IPs.txt on our
border CISCO ASA firewalls with great success and little to no issues. A
script pulls the new list, compares it with the old one and applies the
delta.  We are currently switching to PaloAlto FWs and it appears that
scripting/importing this large list may not be as easy as it was with the
ASA.

Can those of you who use the ET list with PaloAlto give us some
feedback/scripts/API on how you implemented it? We are also considering
moving it to our border CISCO router either as an ACL or as a Null route,
any feedback with the latter and/or scripts you may be using? My primary
concern with using Null route is the fact that as far as I understand it, it
can only block outbound traffic. The router ACL can accomplish blocking
in/out, but my concern is with performance. What say you?