Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: 360.cn Website

From: Kevin Halgren <kevin.halgren () WASHBURN EDU>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 14:56:33 -0600

That's a tough call for various reasons. It's most likely from Chinese nationals who are using the free 360.cn antivirus software on their computers. That software seems quite popular but is of questionable value from a protection perspective and there is speculation it provides a backdoor for Chinese government monitoring of individuals and a bridgehead into remote network for malicious activity on the part of the Chinese government or independent agents.

Like so many things China-related, it's at least semi-legitimate but not something I'd ever trust personally.

See here for more:
http://research.zscaler.com/2011/05/is-360cn-evil.html

Kevin