Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Wireless WPA2 MSCHAPv2

From: Steve Bohrer <skbohrer () SIMONS-ROCK EDU>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 12:27:28 -0400

On Jul 31, 2012, at 12:00 PM, Justin Azoff wrote:

AFAIK, if you have people spoofing your SSID and running rogue
authentication servers any weakness in MSCHAPv2 is the least of your
problems..

I don't have 100% campus wifi coverage, so, it seems it would not take much for a student in a sparsely covered area to hook a home AP to a linux box running FreeRADIUS, and broadcast an SSID matching the college network's. Our server's certificate is our only defense against that, as there are areas where I don't have the coverage to detect or block such systems. (Obviously I need lots more money for campus wireless coverage, so I can blanket any rogues in the vicinity!)

But you certainly are correct, if such a student can get people to authenticate to their server, they'd have no need to bother with cracking MSCHAPv2.

I still think WPA should have been designed to require the certificate
to match the SSID, not the radius server hostname :-)

Joking, I hope? Not sure how much weight to give your :-).

In the above case, I really want our users to know that they have to look for a specific "simons-rock.edu" certificate before they submit their password to any RADIUS server. If the certificate merely has to match the SSID, I don't know how to prevent the case above.

Moreover, with eduroam, I really want one of our professors who is getting online from far away to know that it is a problem if they are presented with any server certificate except ours. If the cert merely had to say "eduroam", and could be issued to anyone who might be running an eduroam AP, I don't think it would have much value. With the current server-name system, once our users have accepted our RADIUS server's cert here on campus, they can connect to any proper eduroam site with no changes, so if they do get _any_ cert popup it indicates a problem.

Steve Bohrer
Network Admin
Bard College at Simon's Rock
413-528-7645