Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: student password requirements for third party sites

From: Steven Alexander <alexander.s () MCCD EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 00:03:14 +0000

As you mentioned, it would be best if the site uses SSO so that it doesn't have to store passwords at all.

If the billboard site is going to store passwords, encourage them to use bcrypt, scrypt, or PBKDF2 for password hashing
to reduce the risk of student accounts being compromised subsequent to an attack on their site.  If they're using
MD5/SHA, it's almost as bad as plain text.

Steven Alexander
Online Education Systems Manager
Merced College
alexander.s () mccd edu