Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Granting all users (or "a select few"??) administrative rights on their own computer systems??

From: "Kriss, George N" <GNKriss () MCKENDREE EDU>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 21:52:46 +0000

We also limit admin privileges to just a select few with those few being local computer admins, which is separate from
their standard domain account.  We have several group policies that turn off the autoupdate and/or update notification
bubble.  We then push the java, flash etc. updates via group policy during our normal Windows patching timeframe.

As for our Macs on campus.  That's why we have student workers  :)

If something needs to be installed quickly, we or an approved student worker will remote to their desktop using
Microsoft Remote Assistant and help them out.

Geo.
George K R I S S
Director, Information Technology
(618) 537-6445
701 College Road   |  Lebanon   |  Illinois   |   62254