Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Java 7 Security Manager Bypass Vulnerability - drop back to 1.6.34 if possible.

From: Chuck Braden <j-braden () TAMU EDU>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 20:18:46 +0000

From what I am reading, the most recent version of 1.6 is 34 and it was
released on August 14 - the same date as 1.7.06. So technically, the code
fixes applied to 1.6.34 would provide some sense of protection from all the
vulnerabilities identified prior to 8/14 but still not be exploitable to the
zero day code that 1.7 is vulnerable to.  So far, no resource I have
identified is promoting such a workaround for that reason, YMMV.   As I
understand it 1.7 was released to support Arm cores.

DL Link for 1.6.34 -
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre6-downloads-16375
95.html

See comments on -

http://isc.sans.edu/diary/Quick+Bits+about+Today+s+Java+0-Day/13984

This is what we know so far about the vulnerability: there is an exploit in
the wild, it works on the latest FireFox, and Chrome, and it targets Java
1.7 update 6, there is currently no patch available, the exploit has been
integrated into the metasploit framework.

What this means: the potential hit rate for drive-by attacks is currently
elevated.  Since this is a java vulnerability, this may also affect more
than just Windows platforms (multi-platform attacks currently unconfirmed,
based on the multi-platform compatibility of java itself.)

Update: Metasploit claims to work on Mac OS X via Safari.  So consider it
just a java issue and ignore the OS and the browser when considering if
you're exposed.

The next patch cycle from Oracle isn't scheduled for another two months
(October.)

What you can do: this places normal end-users in a pretty bad position,
relying mostly upon disabling, or restricting java and hoping that AV
catches the payload that gets installed.  None of these are really good
options.  There is a 3rd-party developed patch that is said to exist, but
it's not intended for end-users.  My current recommendations are to disable
java if you can (see Brian Kreb's handy guide here:
http://krebsonsecurity.com/how-to-unplug-java-from-the-browser/  ,) or use
something like no-script to help control where you accept and execute java
from.

Update: Downgrading to 1.6 might be an option for you as well, make sure
you're using the latest update.  Credit or blame Steven depending on how
that works out for you. (JK Steven.)

Suggested reading on the topic:

http://blog.fireeye.com/research/2012/08/zero-day-season-is-not-over-yet.htm

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/08/attackers-pounce-on-zero-day-java-exploit