Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Policy/Practices for Remote Control/Remote Access to Institutionally Owned Computers

From: Dennis Bohn <bohn () ADELPHI EDU>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 08:01:09 -0400

Hi Jack,
Not certain if it were here or another list, but this topic has come up now
and again.  Here at AU, we block access to those sites from the
Administrative networks.   Our reasoning is that we do not want people to
have access to the ERP system functions that are not web-based from
off-campus, unless it is specifically authorized.  For very special users
we allow VPN with two-factor authentication to access the ERP system
directly.

What with one thing and another (byod, so-called borderless networks), not
certain how much longer this will make sense.
best,
Dennis Bohn
Manager of Network and Systems
Adelphi University