Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Private vs Publicly-Accessible IP Addresses

From: Valdis Kletnieks <valdis.kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 12:24:03 -0400

On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 14:45:54 -0000, "Carr, Michael G" said:

If you are the senior-most Information Security Officer at your institution,
will you please complete the following MonkeySurvey regarding Private vs
Publicly-Accessible IP Addresses?

If we happen to be the networking person who actually allocates the addresses,
and thus actually know the answer better than the CISO, are we allowed to answer
that?  Also, are you looking for address space allocated, or address space actually
in use?  We have a chunk of 1918 space we allocated to the wireless net for IPv4
(they get globally routable IPv6), and the number of wireless users fluctuates of
course - we've seen a peak of 11,000+ simultaneous, but it's probably sitting
around 2-3K users now.

Also, are you talking IPv4, or IPv6?  Some of us have lots of both.

Also, question 5 is phrased in a leading manner - it assumes that the site uses
1918 addresses by default, as it only asks for people that insisted on having
public addresses.  There's no similar question for "you assign public addresses
by default, and somebody insisted on 1918 space".