Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Welcome! You're now on the official DHS watchlist

From: "Manjak, Martin" <mmanjak () ALBANY EDU>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 19:53:16 +0000

And the irony and tragedy of all this is that citizens come to distrust their government and are less likely to
cooperate with it.  It's not unlike community policing. If the police are viewed with suspicion, they alienate the very
people they are supposedly protecting, and make their job that much more difficult for themselves.

This works both ways. If a government views its citizens with distrust, it will become increasingly alienated from its
own people, and see its interests, and prerogatives, as distinct from those of the citizenry. At that point, its
primary focus is not on protecting people, but protecting itself from the people.

Marty Manjak
ISO
University at Albany

The University at Albany will never ask you to reveal your password. Please ignore all such requests.