Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Cisco IOS certification process

From: Christian Heroux <heroux.christian () HYDRO QC CA>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 14:28:14 -0400

Hello,

We try to define a process that would certify the version of IOS used . The goal is to deploy a good and tested Cisco
IOS with the right function. This is not an easy task to chose one IOS but when you have chosen one,  what kind test
would be relevant considering the time and effort spent?

Generic testing ex:test etherchannel ---> Time consuming and Cisco should have tested that! I am thinking to drop this
step.

Load config to see if the new IOS accept the command ---> Basic rapid test that let you know all command are still
there!

Try to reproduce in lab your environment with different type of trafic (access switch, MPLS CE) ----> Time spend vs
result this is a good value! Better it you have to test many and can keep this environmment

Pilote in the field ---> this is the ultimate test but I wouldn`t jump to that one if the environment is critic.

Any other test?

What is your process? Chose the latest Cisco IOS and load it in one non critical equipment and one week later deploy at
large!!!

Christian Héroux