Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: PCI & VOIP Soft Phones

From: Jeff Moore <mail () JEFFMOORE COM>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 15:11:18 -0700

Bob,

I can't think off hand how PCI compliance might be impacted by this but I
would go for hardware. I managed our institutions move from TDM to VOIP and
with the experience I have had with that project and working for Siemens IC
for 8 years(Manged most of Kaiser Permenente's Northwest phone systems
including their main call center) I would say hardware phone. In my old
fashioned opinion you just can't beat the reliability of hardware that is
specifically engineered for a task. All those eggs in one basket would be a
frightening prospect to me. Especially for a Call Center. Definitely more
expensive but I would think well worth it. Could be the little guy on my
right shoulder named "Old School Philosiphy"! He gets more and more bossy
as I get older. We have had in smaller settings softphones working just
fine here but Call Center.. I wouldnt. Also one nice thing about starting
with a hardphone is you can always add softphones later and do pilot trials
etc.

Hope that helps.

Compliancy wise as long as the softphone and the phone are on the same lan
then I wouldnt think there would be any extra PCI issues.

Sorry for the lack of Knowledge on the PCI compliance. We offloaded our
transaction servers years ago.

Jeff Moore
Chemeketa Community College

PS - Feel free to call if you want me to talk your ear off about our
experiences as small and limited as they are. 503-910-0756

jm