Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Malware (antivirus) software for Macintosh

From: "Jason C. Belford" <jason.belford () OIT GATECH EDU>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 15:59:13 -0400

We provide McAfee VirusScan for Mac to our campus.  A co-worker of mine prefers Sophos.  He ran some (unscientific)
tests by installing various clients and copying files around.  He timed each copy..  He shared his findings with me
(see below).

I used a copy of my Library folder since it's 3.08 gigabytes and contains 32,819 files.  I figured more files to scan
will give me a better idea of performance.  I disabled Time Machine and rebooted the Mac between each test copy so
the environment was as nearly identical as I could make it for each run.  Each test was in a terminal window with the
command:

time cp -pr Library-test/ Library-test-2

First, I did it twice with nothing installed.

Real          User            Sys
1m38.032s     0m0.998s        0m12.907s
1m40.936s     1m0.008s        0m13.119s

Then twice with McAfee installed.

Real          User            Sys
4m14.581s     0m1.196s        0m15.959s
4m12.333s     0m1.198s        0m16.052s

Wow!  Over 4 minutes!  Then I uninstalled McAfee and ran the test again with nothing.  I should have gotten similar
results to the first two runs.

Real          User            Sys
1m42.203s     0m0.996s        0m13.060s

Yep, similar results.  Then I installed the free version of Sophos for the Mac and gave it two runs.

Real          User            Sys
2m26.733s     0m0.985s        0m14.081s
2m26.177s     0m0.978s        0m14.062s

The extra overhead of scanning 32,819 files added 44 seconds to the copy using Sophos.  Using McAfee it added 2.5
minutes (150 seconds)

I am only presenting the facts and this email should not be interrupted me as endorsing any product.

--Jason