Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: AWS Security

From: Josh Richard <jrichar4 () D UMN EDU>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 13:33:29 -0500

Hi John,

Outside of work, I have used EC2 and some of the portfolio of services
(beanstalk/VPC) for non-profits.  I find the set of options
interesting.

There are a number of interesting approaches available beyond servers.
 You can create dedicated typologies:
http://aws.amazon.com/cloudformation

or even setup peering with a virtual private cloud over a VPN.

There is a gov cloud region that may be compliant with your requirements:
http://aws.amazon.com/govcloud-us

Also this is interesting for DR:
http://aws.amazon.com/storagegateway

The gov cloud with VPC would allow you to place the sharepoint server
within an isoloated EC2 instance and use a VPN to connect.  This way
you would not have to expose the MS box to the Internet and keep it
internal.  See below:
http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AmazonVPC/latest/GettingStartedGuide/GetStarted.html?r=895

Regards,
Josh Richard