Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Concern about SkyDrive

From: "Piscitello, Frank" <FPiscitello () WCUPA EDU>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 14:06:17 +0000

So, I just installed the newest SkyDrive Windows application from Microsoft. It is very similar to DropBox and
GoogleDrive. However, it as one unique feature. It will automatically give a user remote access to all the files on the
computer via web interface. Not just the ones synchronized within the SkyDrive folder.

I've attempted to follow a reference to disable the remote-file-access via Registry(GPO), but it doesn't seem to affect
anything. I don't have a solution yet to disable the remote access. There is an option that individual users can
enable/disable this feature.

I just wanted to make you all aware of the potential issue if people install SkyDrive. Here's the forum article I was
following:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/skydrive-wlsecurity/gporegistry-skydrive-control/5febc70f-fb2d-4405-9334-cd9013f6ac74?msgId=2a7cf349-99c1-456a-9bc0-007b9aa6e130

I've tried searching for other options, but haven't seen one yet. The product just got released about 2 weeks ago, so
documentation is thin.

-Frank

Frank J. Piscitello, Jr. '05 | Information Security Manager (ISO)
Email: FPiscitello () wcupa edu<mailto:FPiscitello () wcupa edu> | Phone: 610-436-3192 | Fax: 610-436-3110
Networking & Telecommunications / Information Security | http://www.wcupa.edu/infoservices/security/
West Chester University of PA
West Chester, PA 19383
Stop. Think. Click.