Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Cell phone security policy

From: "Spransy, Derek" <dsprans () EMORY EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 18:26:00 +0000

Hi Matt,

Emory has begun enforcing security requirements for all devices (personally and institutionally owned) that connect to
our Exchange environment via ActiveSync and BES. You can read our policy at http://policies.emory.edu/5.14. User
documentation is here: http://it.emory.edu/security/smart_device  The policy requires the following specifically:

  *   A non-trivial numeric device passcode with a minimum required length of four characters. Passcodes consisting of
additional character sets or greater lengths are allowed.
  *   An inactivity timeout to automatically lock the device after a maximum of fifteen minutes
  *   Data storage encryption (when supported by the device)
  *   Automatic data wiping after ten failed passcode entry attempts
  *   Enable the ability to remotely wipe data from lost/stolen devices
  *   Prohibit users from modifying or disabling security safeguards

We're not enforcing encryption (i.e denying access to devices that can't be encrypted) requirements, but devices that
can't support encryption are prohibited by policy to store sensitive data. We don't have any technical capability to
enforce this though. AV also isn't a requirement at this point as nearly 3/4 of our smart device are iOS based, and
there isn't a lot in the way of AV for that platform. There would also be a cost associated with requiring AV, and
we're implementing what we can without any expenditure outside of operational costs.

Thanks,
Derek

Derek Spransy
Information Security