Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: secure testing environment

From: "Pratt, Benjamin E." <bepratt () STCLOUDSTATE EDU>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 14:29:19 +0000

The issue I have found with the secure testing software I have been shown is:

1.       They have all relied on application blacklisting. Unfortunately sf.net and Google often reveal applications
that get around the blacklist. If something out there uses application whitelisting that would be much better but more
difficult to maintain and get working on a variety of systems.

2.       Students are resourceful. They have been cheating for longer than we have been implementing technology to stop
them for cheating. Cell phones, a second computer, and calculators can all be used to assist the student in cheating.

The only solution we have found is to have a proctor who is actually watching the students take exams. At this point
programs like Respondus LockDown Browser can be used to supplement the proctor but that person is the focus of security.

Ben