Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Not exactly phishing, but...

From: Joel Rosenblatt <joel () COLUMBIA EDU>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 11:16:11 -0500

Hi,

They are calling this Vishing .. Voice Phishing .. the use VoIP systems to obfuscate the source of the calls

Yes, this is really a phishing attempt

My 2 cents

Joel

--On Thursday, January 12, 2012 11:01 AM -0500 Geoffrey Steven Nathan <geoffnathan () wayne edu> wrote:

One of my colleagues received a phone call --

claiming to represent 'internet radio' and wanting me (as a WSU faculty member) to participate in some project that was
not clearly identified. When I
suggested that he send a copy of the proposal so that the WSU legal people could have a look at it, he hung up. It
might be useful to circulate a note to the
faculty to the effect that offers of this sort might need to be checked out.

Although this is not electronic, exactly, I've been asked by University Counsel whether this seems to be a one-off or
whether this is a more general phishing
campaign. Has anyone else seen this?

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Professor, Linguistics Program
http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)
+1 (313) 577-8621 (English/Linguistics)

Joel Rosenblatt, Manager Network & Computer Security
Columbia Information Security Office (CISO)
Columbia University, 612 W 115th Street, NY, NY 10025 / 212 854 3033
http://www.columbia.edu/~joel
Public PGP key
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x90BD740BCC7326C3