Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Palo Alto throughputs?

From: Bob Williamson <bob_williamson () AW ORG>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 17:48:19 -0700

I suppose it would have been helpful to give some more information on my situation.

K-12 Boarding school.  300+ users, 100+ of which are full time residents.
Seeing (via PRTG SNMP monitoring) about 20-30 Mbps all day with some 30 minute spikes up to 35+Mbps.  Nights we see
35+Mbps as the kids start streaming.
The school already has one laptop per user, I am not expecting a huge increase too soon, but we will be adding quite a
few IPads etc.  Moving everyone to Google Apps, etc.

The price difference between the PA500 and the PA2020 is pretty significant.

Any thoughts would be appreciated,
Bob Williamson
Network Administrator
Annie Wright Schools | 827 N Tacoma Ave, Tacoma, WA 98403 | www.aw.org
D: +1.253.284.5465 | F: +1.253.572.3616 | Bob_Williamson () aw org

Annie Wright's strong community cultivates individual learners to become
well-educated, creative, and responsible citizens for a global society.

[cid:image001.png@01CD02D3.7DA542F0]<http://www.aw.org/>  [cid:image002.png@01CD02D3.7DA542F0]
<http://www.facebook.com/AnneWrighSchool>   [cid:image003.png@01CD02D3.7DA542F0] <http://twitter.com/#!/AnnieWright1884>