Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Guest Wireless Access

From: "Greg T. Grimes" <greg.grimes () MSSTATE EDU>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 16:49:12 -0500

MSU uses a separate guest SSID that puts you in a "guest" network that is considered outside of the campus network. We also restrict access through the firewall to various services that can be accessed from outside. Mainly our email and Course Management Software. The SSID sits behind a captive portal. We use the Cisco portal to redirect to a server that's running apache. It has a page that gives the TOS and asks for the password. The password is changed each day in Radius from a large list of 5 to 8 character words. We also have the ability to have passwords that last longer than 1 day that are separate from the current word of the day. We also have the ability to turn the password off for football game days.