Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Question about SPF email filtering

From: "Dye, Jan" <dyeja () MISSOURI EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 17:16:59 +0000

I'm just curious to see how many of you have enabled SPF filtering on your email systems?

We recently enabled this, and the result is that we have many support tickets from users who no longer receive mail
from rejected senders. These senders are legitimate, however, they have "bad" SPF records.

We're wondering how other institutions are handling this, and if SPF checking is really worth it.

If I've posted this on the wrong list, please let me know.

Thanks,

Jan S. Dye
Messaging Services
Division of Information Technology