Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Free Download of Matt Ivester's Book Available Now (until Jan. 30)!

From: Charlie Derr <cderr () SIMONS-ROCK EDU>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 15:34:33 -0500

On 01/27/2012 02:30 PM, Tonkin, Derek K. wrote:
John,

Pardon the rant but what is the irony here?

I mean I suppose you were hoping that you could just download an ePub copy, right?  So far as I can tell the author
hasn't produced the book in that format.

It is Kindle-only which is not my preference but for goodness sakes as "security people" must we always find
something to complain about?  I'm not sure what privacy concerns you have with Amazon but it didn't take much info at
all to create an account and download the app (an e-mail address, which doesn't even require verification; a name
which you can make up; and a password).  What privacy are you giving away, your IP and user-agent?  As a security
community we'd probably get a lot more traction with our users if we didn't come off as negative, know-it-alls.

Done ranting,

-------------Baylor University------------- Derek Tonkin Information Security Analyst Information Technology Services
- Security derek_tonkin () baylor edu        254-710-7061 ---------------Sic 'em Bears---------------

As someone who understood John's irony (and agrees with it), the reason for the irony is that to some of us, the word "free" means completely unencumbered by DRM, not just "ostensibly costing $0.00 in terms of capital outlay."

Additionally, it seems (to me) a fairly clever marketing ploy by Amazon. They offer this book for "free" and in exchange they (probably? hopefully?) get a bunch of new people to sign up for Amazon accounts. Pretty good deal for them. Am I being cynical? Or realistic? Or both?

Derek,
I don't think your rant was unwarranted either, I can see your side of things. But I hope no one minds me sharing (I hope politely) my opinion.

         be well,
               ~c

--
Charlie Derr