Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Cyber liability insurance coverage

From: "Payne, Shirley (scp8b)" <scp8b () VIRGINIA EDU>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 14:25:43 +0000

David,

The risk management department at my institution handled the initial screening of product offerings and I helped
evaluate their choice. We've recently purchased a breach response policy from Beazley (insurance carrier is Lloyds of
London). Key items covered are:

 ● Privacy breach response services using pre-determined vendors contracted with the insurer:
- Notification to individuals affected by breach
- Credit monitoring for those individuals
- Identity theft resolution services for individuals enrolled in credit monitoring who actually become victims of
identity theft
- Outside forensic/investigative and legal assistance (should we request these) to help determine the extent of the
breach and the steps needed to comply with applicable laws
- Outside public relations/crisis management assistance (should we request this) to, for example, respond to adverse
publicity or media attention

● Privacy liability coverage

● Costs associated with response to a regulatory proceeding resulting from an alleged violation of privacy law causing
a security breach.

Hope this helps.

-Shirley

Shirley C. Payne, CISSP, CRISC
Assistant Vice President for Information Security, Policy, and Records
University of Virginia
Charlottesville, Virginia 22904-4898
(434) 924-4165