Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

VirusTotal Alternatives [Changing Subject Line]

From: Karl Bernard <karl.bernard () GMAIL COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 09:43:04 -0600

This is a great discussion and deserves its own thread ;)

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Tim Doty <tdoty () mst edu> wrote:

A quick look at jotti's source and I expect them to follow virustotal
down the path of requiring allowing all google domains to function.

To force javascript enabled they disable the form input and then use
javascript to enable it. They have a claim that the service will not
work without javascript. Inasmuch as that is true it is only so because
they deliberately broke the page. Of course, it is a misleading
statement anyway because javascript isn't an either/or situation (thanks
to NoScript).

They also use javascript to validate form data. I haven't looked at it
deeply (what is there to validate for a simple file upload?), but I did
notice the comment that they skip hidden elements because user's can't
alter the information. Really? My estimation of their web developers is
dropping...

The javascript they include looks pretty mundane, just some "fancy it
up" type stuff (and of course a function to enable the submit button for
the form).

If they were upfront and said "this is an ad supported service, we will
try our best to make it not work if you don't view our ads" I'd think
more highly of them. What would be nice is a community service that did
what virustotal and jotti do, but without the back links to google.
Maybe something for REN-ISAC (as if they didn't have enough stuff lined
up already...)

Tim Doty