Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

InCommon Certificate Service: Personal Certs?

From: Martin Manjak <mmanjak () ALBANY EDU>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 09:58:44 -0500

A few months ago I posted a request asking about certificate management
practices from those schools who were enrolled in the InCommon
certificate service.

Today I'm asking if any one using that service is issuing personal
certificates?

If so, do you require an additional level of vetting?

What are people using the personal certs for (non-repudiation, integrity
assurance, encryption, authentication)?

And finally, how might these personal certs differ from the Free Secure
Email Certificates that Comodo is offering to the general public
(http://www.instantssl.com/ssl-certificate-products/free-email-certificate.html).

Feel free to reply off list is you prefer (mmanjak () albany edu), and I'll
be happy to compile and anonymize answers for a summary posting to the list.

--

Martin Manjak
CISSP, GIAC GSEC-G

The University at Albany will never ask you to reveal your password.
Please ignore all such requests.