Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Slow-read DOS

From: Nathaniel Hall <educause-lists () NATHANIELHALL COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 19:04:04 -0600

You could use iptables to search for a window size that is smaller than
what is being used (or the specific size, if it is consistent) and
REJECT the connection.  You specifically want to REJECT it
(icmp-host-unreachable, IMHO) in order to flush the connection from the
perimeter firewall.  This could screw up legitimate connections, but
that might be worth it until you can get a handle on things.

Take a look at the man pages for --hex-string.  Use it in conjunction
with --from and --to.  Figure out what the common or max window size is
and convert that to hex.  Then search for it in the packet.

--
Nathaniel Hall

I am many things, but I am not a laywer, accountant, or agent of the federal, state, or local government.