Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Outbound spam filtering

From: "Crim, David" <dvcrim () TAYLOR EDU>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 18:23:02 +0000

We are looking at using Barracuda's filtering appliance to do outbound spam filtering, but we've come across a few
policy / procedure questions that we're struggling with.  I'd be interested to hear any responses to:

What criteria do you use to filter outbound e-mail?
How do you handle NDR reports back to the senders?
Do you block outbound spam, or is there a quarantine box so potential messages can be flagged and later reviewed?
                If so, who does the reviewing, and what is the review process or policy?
Do you have any published policies related to your outbound spam filtering?

David Crim
Security Analyst
Information Technology
236 West Reade Avenue
Upland, Indiana 46989-0001
Office: 765-998-5167     Cell: 765-251-3370
Fax: 765-998-4640

The information in this communication is intended solely for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. It may
contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
distribution or reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful. If you have
received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by responding to the sender of this email, and then
delete it from your system. Taylor University is not liable for the inaccurate or improper transmission of the
information contained in this communication or for any delay in its receipt.