Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: DMCA Infringement Handling

From: Bradley Jonko <jonko () STANFORD EDU>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 15:38:23 -0700

Like many others we have employed several homegrown scripts that automate
the handling of the incoming complaint emails, computer lookup, traffic
flow confirmation and email notification processes. We worked with our
Office of General Counsel to come up with a 3-strikes policy for the
University. We also built an online resolution portal where individuals
can completely resolve their complaints without ever having to contact us
for the first and second offenses. We have gotten to the point of only
having to personally touch very few complaints (some special cases) that
come in.

Our online portal requires everyone to take a DMCA quiz and pass with 80%
correct. The quiz consists of 5 questions (chosen at random from a pool of
~20 questions) and 2 static questions regarding network access
restrictions that have to both be right plus 80% right from the first 5
questions. A passing grade on the quiz is valid for 7 days, at which point
they need to take the quiz again. Upon passing the quiz, everyone is given
an option of how they would like to respond to their complaint. They are
given 1 of 4 choices:

1. I've removed the offending material

2. I'll file a counter notification

3. The complaint is mistaken: This is only reserved for blatantly mistaken
complaints, ie. Complaints for: printers, networking equipment, etc

4. I'll leave this unresolved for now

Note that only option 1 actually resolves the complaint automatically
through the portal.

Users are given 3 business days (holidays and special University dates,
like dead week and commencement week, are not counted) before we set their
network registration node to a "frozen" state. The frozen state is
configured such that the network node is issued IP space that is setup to
automatically redirect all network traffic to our resolution web portal.
The 3 day cut off time was decided on by our Office of General Counsel as
an "expeditious" time for removing access of the material from the
University network. Since the frozen state does not allow any traffic out,
this covers our legal obligation to remove access from the public
internet.

Upon completion of a complaint resolution, we have just implemented this
semester an "affirmation" step where individuals have to affirm their
future intentions and agree to understand the consequences for future
complaints. For first time offenders, they are able to affirm immediately
following resolution. Second time offender incur a 4 day internet
suspension upon completing their resolution, and after the 4th day they
are allowed to affirm. Third time offenders are referred to Judicial
Affairs during which time all network nodes registered to them are
disabled until they complete their case with Judicial Affairs. This
process currently takes our Judicial Affairs Office approx one academic
quarter to complete, which the students are informed of ahead of time. For
Staff they are referred to their HR representative and it is up to HR to
decide appropriate actions.

The first few section of our portal are public,
https://resolution.stanford.edu , so feel free to poke around.

Feel free to send any questions.

Answers to previous questions below:

1) What is your charge or penalty for first and repeat infringement?

   Our office reserves the ability to incur a $1000 network reconnection
fee upon completion of third offense.

2) When do disciplinary staff intervene?  first time or repeats?

   Only on the Third Strike: Judicial Affairs for students and HR for
staff

3) How long do you deny network access?

   First Strike: no penalty (if resolved in the 3 business days)

   Second Strike: 4 day network suspension

   Third Strike: indefinite network suspension until completion of either
Judicial Affairs or HR

4) If a student has multiple devices, do you deny access to all devices or
just the one implicated in the complaint?

   First and Second Strikes: only the implicated device

   Third Strike: all registered devices

5) Who was involved in the approval process for your procedures?

   Information Security Office and Office of General Counsel (assistance
from IT and Networking for restrictions)

6) How much pushback to you get from users who receive infringement
notices?

   We get very little pushback from the notices. Usually we get users
responsible for a residence (staff and student) where guests or visiting
children has engaged in P2P while staying there. Ultimately our network
policy holds the registered user responsible for the complaint and most
usually comply with no issue after explaining the DMCA to them.

7) Do you have an appeals process that has ever given an infringing user
any relief?

   Users are given the option to contact the Security Office if they feel
the complaint is in error, but our scripts confirm network traffic logs
which makes most cases hard to argue out of. For the Third Strike students
have to appeal to Judicial Affairs and staff to HR

8) May I use your institution name along with your other responses in my
report to the administration?

   Yes

9) Do you ever get complaints forwarded from an agent of the pornography
industry?  (we have seen a few recently)

   Yes, and recently they have recently included a shakedown notice as
part of their complaint. These requests typically ask the user to visit
the company's website and pay a fine for the copyright violation to avoid
and legal action. We have a lawyer in our General Counsel Office that
specializes in Copyright law and has asked to be kept informed of such
notices, so made adjustments to our automated email scripts to flag these
for us to forward along.

Thank you,

Brad Jonko

Information Security Office