Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: InCommon Certificate: Local vetting and management

From: Renee Shuey <rshuey () PSU EDU>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 07:40:56 -0500

I am submitting this response from one the individuals at Penn State responsible for our certificate service
deployment, Matthew Scott.  Please submit questions directly to him as I would not know the answers and would waste
your time. ;)

We wrote our own web-based management tool to handle requests, assignment of names and billing information. A
department purchases a subscription, which everything is tied to. A subscription has one subscriber, who is vetted
manually by our staff. We generally contact the director or dean of the unit purchasing to confirm identity and
permission. Domains are then added to the subscription and we check those with our central Networking Services group.
All of this is added and managed through the web tool.

When those are in place, subscribers submit CSRs with any additional information and we process them. We have automated
the verification, but we still process the request to Comodo manually. We did build an interface using the API for
automated processing, but we did not go to  production with it for various reasons.

Management and renewals are the responsibility of the subscriber. We don't actually offer renewals, we simply issue new
certificates.

Matthew J. Scott
Quod Scripsi, Scripsi

Manager, SDI