Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Department of Education to Rollout Two-Factor Authentication

From: Rodney Petersen <rpetersen () EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 23:01:03 +0000

(Please excuse the cross-posts.)

The U.S. Department of Education Federal Student Aid technology office announced this week at the 2011 Federal Student
Aid Conference its plans to issue 90,000 tokens to privileged users who have access to Personally Identifiable
Information on FSA systems.  The privileged users will include financial aid staff at your institutions.   More
information is available at http://net.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/CSD6059.pdf

We will also feature the Department's plans next week as part of IAM Online
(www.incommon.org/iamonline<http://www.incommon.org/iamonline>) scheduled for Tuesday, December 6th, at 3 p.m. ET / 2
p.m. CT / Noon PT.   Please plan to join us to learn more about two-factor authentication, a pilot deployment at Duke
University, and implementation details for the Federal Student Aid deployment.  The Higher Education Information
Security Council (HEISC) has prepared a resource on Two-Factor authentication that is available at
https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/display/itsg2/Two-Factor+Authentication

EDUCAUSE Policy and HEISC continue to work closely with the Department of Education's Chief Information Officer, Chief
Security Officer, FSA's Chief Information Officer, and other staff to influence future technology decisions and to more
closely coordinate on matters of privacy, security, and identity management.  Please let me know if you have any
further questions.

Thanks,

-Rodney

Rodney J. Petersen
Senior Government Relations Officer &
Managing Director of Washington Office
EDUCAUSE

1150 18th Street, N.W., Suite 900
Washington, D.C. 20036
(202) 331-5368 / (202) 872-4200
www.educause.edu

Get the latest news on higher education IT policy issues and regulations.
Subscribe<http://net.educause.edu/PolicyDigest/1029292> to the EDUCAUSE Policy monthly Policy
Digest<http://www.educause.edu/Policy+Analysis+%26+Advocacy/PolicyNews/PolicyDigest/231360>.