Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Are you using a "next generation" firewall?

From: David Curry <David.Curry () NEWSCHOOL EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 09:55:01 -0400

The New School is currently looking at several candidates to replace its
Internet firewalls. We're looking at some of the "next generation"
features that several vendors are now offering, especially:

- application identification (writing rules based on applications
rather than simple port/protocol)
- ability to block/control peer-to-peer traffic (usually a subset of
application identification)
- automated blocking based on intrusion prevention signatures and/or
reputation services
- integration with Active Directory/LDAP (writing rules based on
users/groups and logging with user data)

We'd like to hear from other schools that are using (or have tried
using) these technologies:

- which vendor did you choose?
- which of the above capabilities are you using, and how/for what?
- which of the above capabilities did you try using and gave up (and
why)?
- if your firewall supports it, are you using the SSL decryption
features, and if so, for what?
- do you think the new capabilities have practical value over
"traditional" firewalls, or are they just hype?

Thanks,
--Dave

--
David A. Curry, CISSP • Director, Information Security
The New School • 55 West 13th St. • New York, NY 10011