Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Information Security Classes on the campus network

From: "Mclaughlin, Kevin (mclaugkl)" <mclaugkl () UCMAIL UC EDU>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 11:08:09 -0400

Hi Rob:

We have the college setup and maintain a self contained network for the courses to use.  As part of the course we
actually have a Cyber Wargame at the end that lasts half a day long and a member of my Information Security team leads
the Red team and another member of my team leads the Blue team.  This runs from 10-3 and we buy pizza for the students.
   ½ the students defend and ½ the students attack pre-set machines that are attached to the self contained network.

To get some basic equipment for the creation of the network I was able to go to my local CISCO rep about 6 years ago
and got them to donate the router and some switches.   That worked out well but getting the legal donation agreement
completed was more challenging than I expected it to be.

- Kevin

Kevin L. McLaughlin,  CISM, CISSP, GIAC-GSLC, CRISC, PMP, ITIL Master Certified
Assistant Vice President, Information Security & Special Projects
University of Cincinnati
513-556-9177

The University of Cincinnati is one of America's top public research institutions and the region's largest employer,
with a student population of more than 41,000.