Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Scanning Notices

From: Matt Marmet <matt.marmet () ARMSTRONG EDU>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 10:16:25 -0400

Hello Everyone,

Here at Armstrong we are looking in to scanning our internal networks
(desktop and server networks). I was wondering if other institutions were
doing this and with what frequency? Also, do you notify the campus that
these scans are going to be taking place and, if so, how much lead time do
you give the campus? What kind of email or disclaimers do you send out
letting people know what the scan includes? We are only looking at basic
port scans and such at the moment. Everything we would be doing is
non-invasive and not "invading" the users desktops looking for personal
data. Thanks for your replies.

Regards,

Matt
--
---
Matt Marmet

Security Tip: No matter how authentic the request appears, if you are asked
in an email or via the phone to provide your password - it is a SCAM.

******* The CIS Team will NEVER, EVER, EVER ----- EVER ask for your
username and password via Email. Don't respond to any requests for
this information ******