Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Two Factor Windows Shares

From: Daniel Bennett <dbennett () PCT EDU>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 13:35:07 +0000

Hello all,

I am looking for a little guidance and a low cost or free solution to the following scenario:

I want to have a file server (preferably Windows) where the shares are protected by two factor authentication.  The
share would have permissions assigned to Active Directory users as a normal file share would.  But if the user goes to
the share I want it to prompt them for non-AD credentials such as a finger print.

I was thinking of a solution where certain users have a second username and the password for the account would be the
output from the finger print scanner.  Much like when you swipe a card on a cherry keyboard it outputs the info in text
format.

Has anyone ever built a file server similar to this or knows where I can start?

Thanks,

Daniel Bennett
IT Security Analyst
Vice-Chair North Central PA Members Alliance

Pennsylvania College of Technology
One College Ave
Williamsport, PA 17701

P:570.329.4989