Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: HIPAA question

From: David Grisham <Dgrisham () SALUD UNM EDU>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 09:22:19 -0600

If I may answer this question and the previous question about e-mail simultaneously in regard to PII e-mail use and
reminders under HIPAA.
#1. We use an encrypted mail client within our trusted network. Any confidential information including ePHI that is to
be sent outside of the trusted network must be secured either by IronPort Department Rule or manually with Cisco
IronPort's E-Mail Security Appliance. Further, we require individuals to send only the minimal amount of information
necessary, ensure that it is addressed to an authorized recipient and not  forwarded out of our trusted network.
#2. We require hospital and health science center staff to take an annual CBT on HIPAA privacy and Cyber security. The
CBT is accompanied by not only electronic reminders in our weekly and/or monthly publications from public affairs but
the privacy officer and IT security management & staff give lectures/talks to classes, go to department staff meetings
and enterprise management meetings on acceptable use issues of HIPAA that have recently ranged from encryption to new
policies.
Cheers.-grish
David Grisham, Ph.D, CISM
Manager, IT Security, UNM Hospitals
Jon Hanny <jehanny () GWU EDU> 4/15/2011 6:00 AM >>>
Do you send out any memos or periodic reminders on acceptable use of
email as it relates to HIPAA?

Respectfully,

Jon Hanny
CISM, CISSP, CRISC, GSLC