Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Network Security IDS vs NetFlow

From: Daniel Foerst <foerst () CUA EDU>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 11:50:24 -0400

Hey all,

So we are looking into augmenting and increasing our network security. We already have a number of security appliances and solutions in place, but recently there has been a push for an Intrusion Detection System. Now without going into all our preventative measures, I will say that we have at least an IPS solution that is used in several locations on our network, but not a IDS.

I recently attended a webinar by LanCope and their strategy for increasing network visibility and security is to leverage NetFlow in our routers and switches (those that are capable) to baseline and then monitor traffic flows.

Now an IDS, to my understanding, is a solution that would require multiple network sensors that listen and chirp when many false positives occur until we have had enough data received and man time to tune the system to our needs.

Given these two scenarios, what are you thoughts and how would you suggest to proceed? I do not want to walk into a meeting (adhoc or structured) without enough understanding, but specifically I would like to know others in education that have implemented such solutions.

Personally I like the LanCope solution of leveraging technology we already have in place and only requiring one or two collectors vs the need to place multiple sensors all over the network. However I am cognizant enough that buzz words and naming schemes tend to hold a lot of weight and as such an "Intrustion Detection System (IDS)" will likely seem to be the "needed solution" over a "monitoring/ flow collection solution".

If any of you wouldn't mind sharing your solutions (I fully understand if you can't or don't) or recommend one vendor over another, that would be great too!

Thanks in advance for any help and guidance!

-dan