Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Squid

From: Kevin Halgren <kevin.halgren () WASHBURN EDU>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 08:13:41 -0500

We use squid servers for a couple of networks we like to keep otherwise isolated so students and faculty can freely experiment with and screw up their network without impacting the rest of campus. We've retained the caching function because it's helpful when downloading large updates to refresh systems, nonetheless we've only seen about a 10% reduction in traffic from utilizing the squid cache. At that level, installing a squid proxy for general campus use simply isn't worth the maintenance and occasional trouble tickets that it would generate.

How effective is the squid cache on your network?

Kevin