Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

HIPAA architecture

From: David Opitz <DOpitz () LOYOLA EDU>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 14:10:12 -0400

Hi,

We are changing our network design for our HIPAA covered offices.  I've read PCI requirements and they basically
require anything that has access to credit card data to be totally isolated from any other part of your network, giving
some specifics on how this must be accomplished.  HIPAA isn't that specific - it does require a "risk analysis", but
that is subjective and we aren't reaching agreement on what is acceptable risk.  We are considering 3 different
architectures, and I'm wondering what acceptable level of risk you would be comfortable recommending to your management.

1). Users have 2 computers (or perhaps a thin client) that use an A/B toggle switch to share keyboard/mouse/monitor,
with one computer connected to the Internet (for email, web surfing, general use) and the other only to the HIPAA
network (isolated via a VLAN or IPsec tunnel).

2). Users have 1 computer but it is a locked down configuration (no local admin rights for users, no incoming
connections allowed by firewall/ACL rules, quickly patched, etc.).  It is allowed to access both the Internet and HIPAA
data.

3). One standard PC with a Type 1 (or bare metal) hypervisor running different instances of an operating system, one
for Internet access, one for access to secured data.  Actually, I'm not sure there is a product that would be easy for
a user to use (quickly switch back and forth between OS's without rebooting).  Do you know of such a product and would
you consider the hypervisor adequate protection to provide this separation?

Peace,
Dave