Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Incident Protocols for @Live Schools

From: "Nate B. Childers" <nate () UGA EDU>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 15:14:10 +0000

On Apr 14, 2011, at 10:55 AM, Martin Manjak wrote:

My questions are:

Does MS notify your institution when an account has been suspended?

No.  When we hear about this it's typically from the end user.

Do these metrics apply to external messages only, or do they also count
internal mailings?

All messages, including calendar activity like sending out meeting requests.

We have a significant number of staff whose current, ad hoc email
distributions would render their accounts inactive under the above
rubric and we're trying to decide how to address this.

Distribution groups may help.  We use Listserv in many cases.  We also have a mail relay system on campus that we can
bulk mail through that won't affect these limits.

We also want to be informed when an account is suspended in the event
the user contacts our Help Desk.

Best of luck with that.  They don't notify us when they suspend an account for TOS violations either and that process
is a much more manual one than the usage limitation enforcement.

--
Nate Childers
UGA EITS