Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Eliminating PSTs

From: "Hahues, Sven" <shahues () FGCU EDU>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 08:54:18 -0500

Ms. Chancellor,

If you are trying to eliminate PSTs the best way to do so is to "simply" give users enough inbox space so they do not
need the PSTs.  We are currently looking at doing this using some sort of email archiving, and stubbing the items in
their inboxes.  While we do not have a formal plan yet, there are a number of solutions out there that will allow you
to send email older than x days to low cost storage.

At the same time we are using our computer management software to see how many users have PSTs and what the average
size of these files is.

For a lot of people this may or may not be a great idea, but it can also help out with records retention laws, since
you are effectively relieving users of the responsibility to pick what they need to save to meet the retention
requirements.  However, this potentially does make sifting through mail for public records requests or alike a lot more
time consuming.

Hope that helps,

Sven

Sven Hahues
FGCU Network Services
Tel: (239) 590 1337
E-Mail: shahues () fgcu edu

Computing & Network Services will NEVER ask you for your password