Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Security Audit -- Application Layer

From: "Jones, Dan" <Dan.Jones () UMASSMED EDU>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 08:22:08 -0500

The need for application level audits is real. Attackers don't go after the operating system so much anymore, largely
because patching of the OS has "grown up".

Applications on the other hand are often riddled with programming errors that make them easy to exploit with SQL
injection, and other common techniques. Also, the application holds the data, which is often the target of the attack.

To use an application audit to your advantage, you could perhaps use the findings to demonstrate the need to educate
developers in secure programming techniques, or even to acquire some in-house app scanning tool that could be
integrated with the SDLC.

App Dev problems often repeat... so if you have an in-house team developing applications, it is likely that the same
issues occur across multiple applications. Rather than testing all applications, you could start the audit with a 10%
sampling of applications. If the same problems reoccur across the 10%, then you've likely demonstrated the most common
problems and saved $$$ doing so.

If the budget allows, it can also be interesting to test Commercial Off The Shelf software (starting with the highest
risk applications). People often assume that COTS packages are secure, but often they are far from it (owing to
marketing and the get-it-out-the-door factor).

--hope this is helpful.

Dan Jones
ISO
UMass Medical School