Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Copyright material scan

From: Bob Bayn <bob.bayn () USU EDU>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 20:14:26 +0000

Scanning all storage of all computers connected to your network, looking for signature matches with copyrighted works,
would be a daunting if not impossible task, not to mention invasive.

Besides, if you found a copy of "Call of Duty: Black Ops" (the title of the last DMCA infringement I processed this
morning), what would you conclude?  It could be a legally acquired (purchased) copy stored on a device for personal
viewing in compliance with terms of copyright.

Our "technology based deterrent" is a "vigorous program of accepting and responding to Digital Millennium Copyright Act
(DMCA) notices."

Before I'd buy a commercial product or appliance for blocking stuff, I'd opt for implementing something like BAYU from
U Michigan.  I really believe most of our P2P users are completely unaware of the outbound sharing features of the
program, until they get a DMCA notice and get the explanation.  The annual warning and explanation that HEOA requires
just doesn't get connected up in students' minds with the subsequent "opportunity" to use "this neat program for free
music/videos".  So, I "educate" about one student a day, and charge them $50 "tuition" after interrupting their
internet access for a few hours or days.

Bob Bayn                    (435)797-2396                 Security Team
                  You are on the Security Team, too.
Be an Internet Skeptic!  There's nothing really free on the 'net
Office of Information Technology     at     Utah State University
            http://tinyurl.com/bicyclists-share-kidneys