Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Mobile Apps: Authentication?

From: Bob Doyle <bobdoyle () KELLOGG NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 17:31:11 +0000

We were able to rely on our school's existing authentication technology for our mobile app login, you can channel it
through the browser and the risk model remains consistent.  The interesting problem lies with the session management,
in our case we had multiple servers on and off campus and we weren't able to fully rely on our SSO solution to handle
session management.  We're coding the app and the back-end web-services to handle that.

For review and design purposes, you're looking for the same kinds of things that you look for in web apps (no clear
text passwords or session id's, time outs appropriate for the information at play). This is still an area of growth and
still requires oversight especially in the design phase, authenticating content is still a problem that people are
trying to solve very badly.  I'll link a Shmoocon talk from last month where the presenter spends roughly 30-40 minutes
rattling off apps that are caching clear text passwords to handle session management (don't do this) or storing
authenticated content locally on the device.

I'm not viewing mobile app/sec as a solved problem that can give you assurance from low security data to high security
data, so we're watching things on a case by case basis.

Cheers,

Bob Doyle

Here's a link to the ShmooCon 2011 schedule: http://www.shmoocon.org/schedule Search for "Sarah Edwards"  (There's not
a good direct link, and plenty of other great presentations there)