Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

RSA Hacked

From: David Auclair <d.auclair () UTORONTO CA>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 08:49:26 -0400

For those of you that haven't yet heard the news, RSA has been hacked.  They've apparently taken sensitive information
pertaining to the SecurID system.

From their post:
"Our investigation has led us to believe that the attack is in the category of an Advanced Persistent Threat (APT). Our
investigation also revealed that the attack resulted in certain information being extracted from RSA's systems. Some of
that information is specifically related to RSA's SecurID two-factor authentication products. While at this time we are
confident that the information extracted does not enable a successful direct attack on any of our RSA SecurID
customers, this information could potentially be used to reduce the effectiveness of a current two-factor
authentication implementation as part of a broader attack. We are very actively communicating this situation to RSA
customers and providing immediate steps for them to take to strengthen their SecurID implementations."

Their full post is here:
http://www.rsa.com/node.aspx?id=3872

They're supposedly releasing more information soon.

Regards,
David Auclair
Information Security Group
Information and Technology Services